Best Whitetail Hunting In The Us in 2022
Bowhunting Pressured Whitetails: Expert Techniques for Taking Big, Wary Bucks
Boone and Crockett Club's Complete Guide to Hunting Whitetails: Deer Hunting Tips Guaranteed to Improve Your Success in the Field
Blaze Orange: Whitetail Deer Hunting in Wisconsin
Aggressive Whitetail Hunting
Whitetail Savvy: New Research and Observations about the Deer, America's Most Popular Big-Game Animal
Dawn of American Deer Hunting: A Photographic Odyssey of Whitetail Hunting History
Benoit Bucks: Whitetail Tactics for a New Generation
Bowhunting's Whitetail Masters: The Techniques, Secrets and Successes of the Most Skilled Whitetail Bowhunters in America
Bowhunting Whitetails the Eberhart Way
ScentLok Morphic Waterproof Pant (Realtree Edge, Large)
- CARBON ALLOY TECHNOLOGY: Our industry leading technology combines activated carbon, treated carbon and zeolite concealed between fabrics. The massive surface area of these natural particles target and adsorb odors and won't let go until you reactivate your gear in your dryer.
- WARM AND DRY MEMBRANE: A waterproof and windproof membrane that's impermeable to outside moisture. Without affecting breathability and allowing moisture from the inside to disperse through the membrane system. Garment seams are secured with heat sealed waterproof tape.
- BLOCK THE WIND: Perfect for the cooler weather, this windproof membrane is designed to keep you warm. A high performance laminate system blocks the wind while allowing moisture and perspiration to escape from inside, keeping you warm, comfortable, and dry.
- THE ONE AND ONLY: ScentLok Technologies is a leading worldwide designer of performance, hunting and casual odor-controlling apparel, footwear and equipment. ScentLok is the only company with access to all scent-controlling technologies including their patented activated carbon technology, which is consistently proven to outperform other technologies tested.
- PRODUCT SPECIFICATIONS: Package contains (1) ScentLok Morphic Waterproof Pant (Realtree Edge, Large). Carbon Alloy technology. Windproof membrane. Outer DWR finish. Moisture Wicking. Fleece upper body lining for core warmth. Deadly, quiet brushed tricot jacket.
How to Make a Mock Whitetail Deer Scrape
This article briefly discusses how to create a mock whitetail deer scrape.
Are you thinking about creating a mock whitetail deer scrape this year as part of your overall hunting strategy? If so, you may want to take a look at my suggestions for making a faux whitetail deer scrape. Here they are:
Once you have selected an area for your mock scrape, make sure that you are odor free when you visit the spot. Oftentimes, the best way to do that is to shower with no scent soap and no scent shampoo. In order to combat normal sweating, you'll also want to consider using an unscented, mineral stick deodorant. I would also recommend that you de-scent your clothing, footwear and gear as well. In order to do that, you may opt to purchase ready-made scent killer. Of course you could also opt to make your own scent killer using distilled water, 3% hydrogen peroxide, baking soda and unscented shampoo.
Preparing the Scrape
When you get to your selected location, take out your trowel. Use the trowel to dig up a patch of earth underneath the designated licking branch. I'd recommend that you make the rut fairly deep and cover the bottom of the rut with wood shavings that have been soaked in buck urine. You can traditionally purchase wood shavings from a pet store or a wood working shop for less than $5 a bag. In my experience, the wood shavings will help to keep the buck urine from seeping into the dirt too quickly.
Once the wood shavings are in place, douse them with buck urine again and then cover them with dirt. Next, spray the top of the dirt with more buck urine and hang a scent wick or drag rag nearby. I'd also suggest that you consider adding buck urine, tarsal gland secretions or a pre-orbital solution onto the licking branch. You can generally purchase such products through outdoor outfitters. Brands to consider using are 24SEVEN and Code Blue.
I should also mention that if your mock scrap location doesn't have its own licking branch, or the existing licking branch breaks off, you will want to install a new one. There are several ways to install a new licking branch, including using a commercially made licking branch system. One company that makes a licking branch system is Whitetail'R. The company's licking branch system is called BuckLIMB. It attaches to a tree and is designed to hold the new licking branch securely in place. BuckLIMB prices will vary based on the retailer and the size of the limb holder.
After you've made the mock scrape and perfected the licking branch, you may also want to consider creating a faux rub nearby. In my experience, a sharp machete will make a decent faux rub. I'd also suggest that you place the rub in a strategic location. Oftentimes, the ideal spot for a faux rub is a smooth barked, aromatic tree with a modest diameter. Coating the rub with a pre-orbital solution once you are done is also a good idea.
Source: Personal Experience
Killeen Gonzalez has a degree in hotel and restaurant management. She frequently enjoys the great outdoors with her family.