Best Vortex Scope For Elk Hunting in 2023
Vortex Optics Diamondback Spotting Scope 20-60x80 Angled
- The Diamondback 20-60x80 Angled Spotting Scope is a superb choice when you need a heavyweight performer in a light, compact package.
- XR fully multi-coated lenses combined with a retractable, built-in sunshade give the user excellent light transmission and a clear image.
- A twist-and-lock collar allows you to move the scope for various glassing positions. The adjustable eyecup twists up and down to maximize comfort during use.
- Other convenience features include the smooth, easy to use focus wheel and a powerful zoom eyepiece. Eye Relief: 20-16.5 mm
- O-ring sealed and nitrogen purged, the Diamondback delivers waterproof and fogproof performance. Rubber armor enhances both durability and grip for the user.
Vortex Optics Crossfire II 4-12x50 AO, Second Focal Plane Riflescope - Dead-Hold BDC Reticle (MOA), black, Model:CF2-31023
- The 4-12x50 Adjustable Objective Crossfire II riflescope is one of many configurations in the Crossfire II line. The Dead-Hold BDC reticle is good for hunting/shooting at varying ranges where estimating holdover is a concern.
- The adjustable objective provides image focus and parallax removal to the shooter while anti-reflective, fully multi-coated lenses provide bright and clear views.
- With long eye relief and an ultra-forgiving eye box, you'll be able to quickly get a sight picture and acquire your target. The fast focus eyepiece allows quick and easy reticle focusing.
- Capped reset turrets are finger adjustable with MOA clicks that can be reset to zero after sighting in.
- A single piece tube constructed from aircraft grade aluminum ensures strength and shockproof performance. O-ring sealed and nitrogen purged, the Crossfire II delivers waterproof and fog proof performance.
Vortex Optics Viper HS 4-16x50 Second Focal Plane Riflescope - Dead-Hold BDC Reticle (MOA)
- The Viper HS 4-16x50 is one of multiple configurations in the Viper HS (Hunting & Shooting) line. The Dead-Hold BDC reticle is good for any hunting or shooting at varying ranges where estimating hold-over would be a concern.
- In the advanced optical system, the XD glass renders an image that is sharp and clear from edge to edge. There are XR multi-coated lenses allowing you to capture the most light from dawn til dusk.The 4x zoom range will pull you close to your target.
- Featuring capped quick-reset turrets you will be able to quickly reindex your zero after sighting in. They're built on a 30mm main tube which increases the amount of elevation and windage travel for optimal adjustment.
- Ultra-hard, scratch resistant Armortek coatings protect the exterior lenses of the scope. Argon purging provides fogproof and waterproof performance. The hard-anodized matte black finish is extremely durable and looks awesome too.
- Whether hunting whitetail in the midwest or elk in the Rockies, the Viper HS is designed to be your all around workhorse optic.
Vortex Optics Viper HD Spotting Scope 20-60x85 Angled
- The Viper HD 20-60x85 Angled Spotting Scope is packed with features for incredible glassing and high end optical performance.
- The HD optical system comprised of premium components generates vivid high-definition images. XR anti-reflective coatings on exterior surfaces help obtain brighter views in low-light situations.
- The smooth helical focus helps dial in your image for ultra-sharp viewing and maintains a trim profile for ultimate packability. A built-in sunshade pulls out to help reduce glare.
- A multi-position eyecup provides proper eye relief while a locking collar allows the scope to rotate into different viewing positions.
- O-ring sealed and argon purged, the Viper delivers waterproof and fogproof performance. Armortek coatings protect the lenses from oil, scratches, and dirt. Rubber armor enhances both durability and grip for the user.
Vortex Optics Razor HD LH 1.5-8x32 SFP Riflescope G4 BDC MOA
- The Razor HD LH 1.5-8x32 is an ultra-sleek, lightweight hunting scope. High density, extra-low dispersion lenses and premium XR coatings combine to produce razor sharp resolution from edge to edge.
- A highly forgiving eyebox gives generous eye relief. The locking ocular focus ensures your reticle always stays sharp and crisp.
- A single piece, hard anodized tube enhances strength and durability. Armortek coatings protect exterior lenses from scratches, oil, and dirt.
- Strong o-ring seals and argon purging guarantee water and fogproof performance even in the worst weather conditions.
- The Razor HD LH gives hunters and shooters premium optics and performance in a streamlined, light-weight package.
Vortex Optics Razor HD Spotting Scope 22-48x65 Angled
- The Razor HD 22-48x65 Angled Spotting Scope employs high-end optical technology, precision craftsmanship, and ultra-sleek functionality to make the Razor one of the finest spotting scopes on the market.
- Triplet Apochromatic lens combined with high density, extra-low dispersion glass delivers unparalled resolution and color fidelity. XR Plus anti-reflective coatings were applied to the lenses to yield maximum brightness for critical low-light glassing.
- A smooth helical focus dials in razor sharp resolution and keeps the scope trim for easy packing. A multi-position eyecup twists up to give you proper eye relief with or without glasses.
- A locking collar allows you to rotate the scope to acquire the best viewing angle. A built-in sunshade pulls out to reduce glare.Dielectric Coated Porro Prism
- O-ring sealed and argon purged, the Razor HD delivers waterproof and fogproof performance. Armortek coatings protect the lenses from oil, scratches, and dirt. Rubber armor provides extreme durability.
Vortex Optics Mule Deer Cap
- Deep forks and sweeping beams distinguish mule deer from other members of the deer family.
- Glassing wide-open sage flats and traversing high country in pursuit of these elusive critters is unfortunately a short-lived window of an entire year.
- But now you can proudly show off your affection for mule deer and fine optics with the Vortex-branded mule deer snapback.
- Cotton with Polyester Mesh, Hand Wash
Vortex Optics Pro GT Tripod
- Redesigned to handle any conditions, for reliable performance, look to the Pro GT tripod
- The sturdy anodized legs combine with a rugged 3-way quick-release pan/tilt head to deliver smooth, solid support for your optics. Rubber feet provide solid footing on slick surfaces
- Flip lever leg locks are valued for rapid set up and height adjustment. The balance hook holds extra weight on the bottom of the center column for greater stability in windy conditions
- Extends to 67.1 inches. Folds down to 24.6 inches
- Included in the box: carry case, 3-way pan head, quick-release plate
Vortex Optics Summit SS-P Tripod
- Our ultimate field-packing tripod, the Summit SS-P provides the perfect combination of size, weight, rugged build and fast operation. No other tripod gets out of your pack and on target quicker than a Summit.
- 3-way pan head provides smooth horizontal and vertical adjustments. Three leg angles allow for flexible positioning and reduction of tripod height for greater stability. Twist leg locks are valued for rapid adjustment of leg height and reduced bulk.
- Split center column allows removal of the lower portion of the center column. When combined with widespread leg angles, tripod height can be reduced to absolute minimum. Five leg sections allow for maximum height with minimum packing length.
- Balance hook holds extra weight on the bottom of the center column for greater stability in windy conditions. Anodized aluminum legs provide sturdy support while rubber feet provide solid footing on slick surfaces.
- Included in the box: carry case, 3-way pan head, quick-release plate
Vortex Optics Viper HD Spotting Scope 20-60x80 Angled
- XR anti-reflective coatings team up with XD extra-low dispersion glass for images that are bright, crisp, and sharp
- Dual focus wheel allows for maximum focusing precison with both coarse and fine focus adjustments. Eyecup twists up and down for comfortable viewing with or without glasses
- Rotating tripod ring allows rotation of the eyepiece to a sideways position. Sunshade reduces glare and shields the objective lens from rain and snow
- O-ring sealed and argon purged, the Viper delivers waterproof and fogproof performance. Armortek coatings protect the lenses from oil, scratches, and dirt
How to Make Homemade Cover Scents and Food Lures for Deer Hunting
This article briefly discusses how to make homemade cover scents and food lures for deer hunting applications.
Most deer hunters are familiar with commercially made cover scents and lures. What they may not realize, however, is that some vegetation cover scents and food lures may be made inexpensively at home. All it takes to get the job done is a few aromatherapy supplies and a willingness to experiment. If you want to give it a try yourself, here's some of what you need to know:
Selecting a Base Oil
In order to get the project rolling, you'll need to purchase a base oil and some essential oils. Base oils are typically considered fatty oils. They are mixed with pure essential oils to create blends. In most instances, base oils have a shelf life of eight months to one year. There are several base oils that may be used when making cover scents and lures. Among the more popular ones are wheat germ oil, olive oil, aloe vera oil, sweet almond oil and jojoba oil. Other base oils are hazelnut oil, St. John's Wort oil and grape seed oil. Some base oils have a scent. For example, sweet almond oil smells like almonds. There are also other base oils, like jojoba oil, that are odorless. You can typically purchase large bottles of base oils through health food stores, grocery stores and aromatherapy shops for $5 to $16 each. One company that sells large containers of base oils is Mountain Rose Herbs. The company also sells essential oils and other aromatherapy supplies.
Vegetation Cover Scents
When it comes to essential oils, there are numerous ones that may be combined with a base oil in order to create a series of vegetation cover scents. Among them are cedarwood, cypress, Scotch pine, birch and oak moss. Prices will vary greatly based on the scent and its purity. I'd recommend that you consider purchasing the purest form of essential oil that you can find. Otherwise, your vegetation cover scent might not work. Just to give you an idea of the cost involved, a ½ ounce bottle of pure Scotch pine oil will typically lighten your wallet by around $7. A ½ ounce of pure cedarwood, on the other hand, will generally cost you $3.
There are also a multitude of essential oils that may be used to create a series of food lures. Examples include clover oil, apple oil, acorn oil, black walnut oil and raspberry oil. You can generally purchase food related essential oils from grocery stores, aromatherapy shops and health food stores. Once again, I'd suggest that you stick with purchasing pure essential oils.
Putting it All Together
Once you have your base oil and your essential oils on hand, simply use an eyedropper to add one or more drops to two tablespoons of the base oil. I should also mention that pure essential oils have a very strong scent. Therefore, a drop or two goes a long way. As such, I'd recommend that you add one drop at a time to the base oil. I have found that it is easier to control the strength of the finished product that way. After you are done mixing your oils, store it in a dark glass bottle in a dark, cool place until you area ready to use it. You can typically purchase empty essential oil bottles through companies like SKS Bottle and Packaging, Inc. Prices will vary based on the bottle's design and size.
Usage and Warnings
The essential oil blend may be used on a scent wick or a drag cloth. Personally, I have also used essential oil blends on my skin. Keep in mind, however, that it is an oil based product. Therefore, if it gets onto your clothes or your hunting gear, it could cause stains or other irreparable damage. It could also cause skin rashes to occur on people that are sensitive to such products.
Source: Personal Experience
Killeen Gonzalez has a degree in Hotel and Restaurant Management. She frequently enjoys the great outdoors with her family.