Best Mountain Elk Hunting Boots in 2023
Under Armour Men's Valsetz RTS 1.5 Military and Tactical Boot, Ridge Reaper Camo Ba (900)/Uniform, 10
Danner Men's Grouse Hunting Boot,Brown,11 D US
- Danner's famous stitch down construction
- 8" of support and durability. It has a fiberglass shank and a Gore Tex liner
- Materials are extremely resistant to abrasions, tears, and scuffs
- Self cleaning Danner Bob Sole
- Wider platform for increased underfoot stability
Irish Setter Men's 880 Elk Tracker Waterproof 200 Gram 12" Big Game Hunting Boot,Brown,10 D US
- 12-inch hunting boot with 200 gram 3M Thinsulate insulation and waterproof GORE-TEX fabric lining
- Removable comfort cork EVA footbed with memory foam
- ScentBan technology to kill odor-causing bacteria
- CARE INSTRUCTIONS :To ensure your rubber footwear stays in good condition wipe or spray with lukewarm water after use and allow to dry naturally. If soap is required for additional cleaning, we recommend using a non-scented soap. Store all footwear in a cool, dry, location avoiding direct contact with any heat source, extreme cold or sunlight
- shock-absorbing comfort cork midsole
Columbia Women's Newton Ridge Plus Hiking Boot, Elk/Mountain Red, 7.5 Regular US
- ADVANCED TECHNOLOGY: The Newton Ridge Plus Waterproof Amped Hiking Boot features a seam-sealed construction, combined with our TECHLITE lightweight midsole, for long-lasting comfort with superior cushioning and high energy return.
- DURABLE HIKING BOOT: This women's boot is inspired by classic mountaineering style. A durable mid cut waterproof hiker that provides great traction and comfort. This classic Columbia hiking boot, will deliver reliable and comfortable service.
- ALL TERRAIN TRACTION: Our signature Omni-GRIP non-marking traction rubber outsole provides high grip across a wide variety of terrain, and versatile three season use.
- REINFORCED TOE AND HEEL CONSTRUCTION: Designed for extended years of use, we’ve reinforced the toe and heel barriers, and extended the outsole toe overwrap to guard these key wear points.
- HANDY FEATURES: Treacherous days out on the trail are comfortable and worry-free with this hiking boot's waterproof combination of supportive leather and suede construction.
Under Armour Men's Infil Ops Gore-TEX Ankle Boot, Ridge Reaper Camo Ba (900)/Maverick Brown, 10
- Breathable GORE TEX membrane is 100% waterproof but still allows sweat to escape so you stay dry
- High abrasion textile upper with Anafoam overlay, anatomically molded for precise fit & support
- Molded rubber toe cap
- TPU stability chassis for heel lockdown & support
- Scratch rubber heel overlay for durability
Danner Men's Mountain 600 4.5" Hiking Boot, Dark Brown/Green-Suede, 10.5 D US
- Danner Dry waterproof protection. Cushioning open-cell OrthoLite footbed.
- Vibram SPE midsole for maximum rebound, comfort and support. Nylon shank.
- TPU heel frame to enhance support and stability.
- Vibram Fuga outsole with Megagrip technology offers superior grip on wet and dry surfaces
- Hazelwood/Yellow,Brown/Red,Dark Brown/Green,Carbon Black,Saddle Tan,Black,Rich Brown,Sand,Walnut/Green,Sandy Taupe,Java/Bossa Nova,Gray,Dark Brown
Irish Setter Women's 2881 Vaprtrek 8" 400 Gram Hunting Boot,Mossy Oak/Camouflage,9 M US
Under Armour Men's Browe 2.0 400G Ankle Boot, Ridge Reaper Camo Fo (900)/Cannon, 9.5
- Waterproof full grain leather with moisture wicking textile upper
- Primaloft 400G insulation for maximum comfort
- Storm Waterproof membrane for breathability
- UA Scent Control lining with Cupron anti bacterial copper infused sockliner top cover
- Adjustable speed lacing system
Danner Men's Radical 452 GTX Outdoor Boot,Dark Brown,10.5 D US
- Durable, nubuck leather upper with lightweight 1000 denier nylon
- Abrasion-resistant toe cap
- GORE-TEX waterproof, breathable lining
- Cushioning EVA footbed
- Thermoplastic PU shank
- TERRA FORCE platform offers lightweight performance and stability
Kenetrek Men's Mountain Extreme 400 Insulated Hunting Boot,Brown,13 M US
- TOP GRAIN LEATHER - One piece vamp of 2.8 mm top grain leather with no seams down the tongue for better abrasion resistance and waterproofing.
- EXTRA SUPPORT - 7mm nylon midsoles provide extra support in rugged terrain with heavy loads.
- INSULATED - Wind-tex waterproof breathable flexible membrane and 400 grams of Thinsulate insulation.
- TRACTION - Lightweight K-talon outsoles provide excellent traction, no matter the conditions.
- COMFORTABLE - Reinforced rubber sole guard for extra abrasion resistance. Lightweight and comfortable.
The Best Place for Elk Hunting in Colorado
Although Colorado elk licenses have already been drawn for 2020, leftover licenses will be available soon. Knowing areas that have historically yielded greater elk hunter success can increase your odds of a successful elk hunt this year.
Data regarding the 2020 hunting seasons are available. A review of the data reveal a handful of gaming units that have enjoyed a higher than average hunter success rate. Unit 61, a unit on the Western slope encompassing portions of the Uncompahgre National Forest, harvested a total of 677 elk in 2020 producing a hunter success rate of 49%. Hunter success rates were 50% in units 40 and 851. Unit 40, where 920 elk were harvested in 2020, is also on the Western slope adjacent to the Utah boarder in Mesa County. Unit 851, where 286 elk were harvested, runs along Colorado's southern boarder and is southwest of Trinidad. The highest noteworthy elk hunting success rate was 67%, found in unit 682. Unit 682 is in the south central portion of the state slightly northwest of the Great Sand Dunes National Monument.
Division of Wildlife data estimates the post 2020 elk hunting season statewide elk population to be approximately 283,210. DOW information relative to elk populations is examined with respect to herds that may traverse more than one gaming unit. With respect to the aforementioned hunting units, estimates from DOW suggest that approximately 21,430 elk are in or about unit 851. In addition, estimates show unit 61 with a herd of approximately 10,680 elk roaming through or about the area. Units 40 and 682 have markedly smaller herds, at 4400 and 300 elk respectively.
As any elk hunter will concede, if you show up in the middle of a herd of elk you will have a much easier time harvesting an elk. Inasmuch as this is true, it is also true that many other aspects of elk hunting preparation produce success. Knowing where elk are abundant and success rates are high may assist in future elk hunting success, but any astute elk hunter should be wary of the difference between the correlation of data, and its causation. There may be other circumstances inherent in some gaming units that produce higher success rates than others.
For more information on Colorado elk hunting statistics, visit the Colorado Division of Wildlife online directly or via the link at .